Pic(k) of the week 19: FLYING TO THE BURJ AL ARAB - Fujifilm X-T20 with XF18-55

There are two iconic buildings Dubai is really known for; the world largest tower "Burj Khalifa" and the 5 star "Burj al Arab" hotel. The latter one was finished just before the new millennium, in December 1999; hard to believe it has been almost 19 years! By the way, in case you are wondering, "Burj"means tower in Arabic.

Even after having been in Dubai for close to 16 years, to me the Burj al Arab hotel remains an impressive building. Being virtually the same height as the Eiffel Tower, (321m), the building has 28 double story floors, holding 202 suite rooms.

A few days ago, I was relaxing on the Jumeriah Beach hotel (sister hotel just in front) beach when just before sunset, some clouds started drifting in. When a high flying airliner showed up in the right side of the frame, I knew I had another Burj al Arab shot! 

Even though I had gone out without planning to do much of photography, the fact that I had a camera with me, obviously allowed me to get the image! It keeps surprising me how the XF18-55 "kit-lens" is such a high quality piece of glass; I really can not call it a kit-lens! 


Image details:

  • Fujifilm X-T20 with XF18-55 lens
  • 1/300s, f 9.0, ISO 200, 30mm focal length
  • RAW development in Lightroom CC
  • Nik ColorEfex Pro 4 for optimal contrast
I shot a 3 shot exposure bracket for the above image, but ended up only using the middle one; proof of the great dynamic range available in the X-Trans II files (cameras like the Fujifilm X-T2, X-T20, X-100F, X-Pro2, X-E3).

More of my Burj al Arab images can be found here

Remember:"We shape our buildings thereafter they shape us" - Winston Churchill 


BJORN



  


Comments