Pic(k) of the week 39: THIS IS NOT A DOUBLE EXPOSURE

Most modern cameras (all of the latest Fujifilm X-series, more here) have a multi or sometimes called double exposure mode. I allows the photographer to take multiple images and blend them together during the shooting process; something that can be used in a very creative way!

Now, the image below is NOT such an image. While shooting the streets of the Belgian city of Ghent (Gent in Dutch), I bumped into a construction site which was fenced off. It had several banners installed along the fence, made of a partially see through material. While I framed a few images, I didn't think too much about it on the spot. However on reviewing the images on the computer, I really liked the effect and mystery. 

To me a good Street Photograph, is an image which creates more questions than answers; I think most will agree that the image below definitively fulfills that requirement. 

I'm often asked if a Street Photograph needs to have actual people in the shot? Personally I don't think so; as long as there is a human element in it, I'm OK to call it Street Photography.  



Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T2 with the XF23mm f2 lens
  • ISO 2500, 1/500s, f8
  • RAW development including Black and White conversion in Lightroom CC
One might ask why I shot the image at ISO 2500... For my Street Photography, I normally set up with camera in Manual Aperture mode and use a fixed shutter speed between 1/320s and 1/500s. Auto ISO, which I normally allow to float up to ISO 3200 (ISO 6400 in lower light), then takes care of the exposure variations.

While I've added the image to my "Best Black and White Street Photography" work, I would like to invite all readers to check out the other images here!

Remember: "All the technique in the world, doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" - Elliott Erwitt


BJORN


Comments