Pic(k) of the week 45: Ready for take-off at Dusseldorf airport

Since the XF100-400 had been announced, I've sung the praises of this super telephoto lens; together with the Fujifilm X-T2 it is now my go to combination for all of my Aviation Photography

Last week I took the combo on a trip to Dusseldorf Germany, to photograph some of the airliners at the airport. Post 9/11 there sadly aren't many airports left which have a dedicated observation deck to watch and photograph the aircraft landing and taking off, but Dusseldorf is still one of them! It is sad to see these places disappear, which often inspire young and old to take up Aviation as a hobby or profession. 

While I did shoot a fair amount of airliner shots that morning, the image below is more of a symbolic image. Although the lens is only a f4.5 to f5.6 lens, I had to stop down to f16 to have a recogniseable aircraft in the background. Obviously this is because of the combination of the longer focal length with a subject distance further away.


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T2 with the XF100-400 lens
  • ISO 1000, f16, 204mm, 1/160s
  • Topaz Clarity for optimal contrast
I've recently started using Topaz Clarity and have been pleasantly surprised with the results. For those of you wondering I'm not dumping my Nik Software plug-ins (mainly Color Efex and Silver Efex), but I'm always on the look-out for new applications which simply my workflow.

The XF100-400 is definitively my preferred new lens for 2016! For those that missed the review, please make sure you check it out here.

Remember: "Birds born in a cage, think flying is an illness." 



Comments