Pic(k) of the week 21: Paragliding - The joy of flying

If all goes to plan, tomorrow I'll be off to Southern France for a week of aviation fun. 
Sunday I'll be attending a large airshow at Salon de Provence, to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the French aerobatic demo team, "Patrouille de France".
  
Starting next Tuesday, I've booked an intermediate four day paragliding course together with my wifeWe have done a beginners course some time ago in the French Pyrenees and are now looking forward to pickup where we left and hopefully perfect this amazing flying experience!

Paragliding is a sport where one runs of a mountain slope with the help of a fabric wing (no engine) and then can, if the weather is right, stay aloft for hours at a time. In my opinion it is the purest form of flying!

Paragliding at Fossil Rock, UAE

A few weeks ago, I photographed a few friends paragliding of the Fossil Rock mountain range in the desert about 45 mins East of Dubai. They flew until after sunset and clearly illustrated the "joy of flying" !

Image details:
Nikon D800 with the 70-200 2.8 VR2 lens
ISO 800, 135mm, f5.6, 1/400s
RAW file development in Lightroom 4.4
Nik ColorEfex Pro for color and contrast adjustment

In preparation for the trip, I've mounted my GoPro video camera on my paragliding helmet and will try to capture some interesting footage. Beside the aviation photography next Sunday, there also should be plenty of landscape photo opportunities throughout the weeklong trip in the Provence.

Remember; "You haven't seen a tree, until you have seen its shadow from the sky" - Amelia Earhart

BJORN
Email me







Comments