Best 3 x 3 of 2011

As a yearly tradition early in the new year, I've now made a selection of my best 3 Architectural, Aviation and Travel photography images. Overall I've just over 10.000 keeper images in my Lightroom library. Only just over 1% of them have received a 5 star rating; these I consider my personal best.

Narrowing the 100 image selection further down to three per category is never an easy task... I've followed my intuition as much as possible and have not tried to balance the results over different destinations etc...

Here we go. To see the whole of my portfolio, click on the bold category names below:


The other building next to Burj Khalifa, Dubai
The "other building", next to the Burj Khalifa, Dubai. I was attracted to the patterns in and the quality this Black and White image



Mosque in Umm Suqeim, Dubai, UAE
2 Mosque in Umm Suqeim, Dubai. Just behind the world famous Burj al Arab, one finds this mosque. Even though I've shot quite a few images of the mosque together with the 7 star hotel, I like this stand alone image because of its structure at night.



Karlskirche, Vienna, Austria
3 Karlskirche in Vienna, Austria. I did shoot more Black & White architectural work than the preceding years. Taking the color away focuses the attention more on the building itself. I also like the reflections in the fountain pool.




Ditched Curtis C-46 near Norman's Cay, Bahamas
1 Ditched Curtiss C-46 Commando near Norman's Cay, Bahamas. Made during my recent Florida and the Bahamas from sea level to 1000 feet tour. Even though I really liked this image from the start, the feedback on my 500px site has been mind boggling; approaching 17.000 views and 1100 votes, this images must be my personal image of 2011! As icing on the cake, the image was selected by National Geographic as Photo of the day in the first week of 2012! People also seemed attracted to the story behind the airplane. I guess a picture is really worth a thousand words! For more make sure you read this blogpost.



Lockheed 12 used in the movie Amelia, at Sun 'n Fun 2011
2 Lockheed 12 used in the movie "Amelia". The tornado I witnessed during the Sun 'n Fun fly-in, end of March 2011, is one for the aviation history books! The day before hell broke loose, I photographed this beautifully restored vintage twin engine. I do like the color image, but find that the structure of every single rivet really comes to live in this Black and White image! It looks like I might be off to Sun 'n Fun again this year...



Veres Zoltan and his MXS at Skydive Dubai with a rising moon
3 Zoltan Veres coming from the moon in his MXS. Amazing flying by this great Hungarian pilot. Zoltan demo's his MXS on a regular basis at the Skydive Dubai, Marina drop zone. He surely knows how to "wow' the crowd!





Chapelle de Roumé, Cieutat
Chapelle de Roumé, Cieutat, France. In 2010 I started flying paragliders together with my wife, in the French Pyrenees. During our first training week in May, we "lost" of few flying days, but did some interesting travel-landscape photography instead. This lonely chapel overlooking the French mountain chain, really symbolizes this trip!



Lonely mosque 20km South of Hatta
2 Mosque 20km from Hatta, UAE. Not that far from home in Dubai, I wanted to document the Hatta pools area. If one want to see the "original UAE" this is a good place to start. 



Ship wreck at Alis Town, Bimini, Bahamas
3 Bimini shipwreck, the Bahamas. During our Florida and the Bahamas from sea level to 1000 ft trip, I photographed the remains of Gallant Lady, a old cargo vessel on the North-Bimini island. 


As we are now into the third week of 2012, it looks like it will be another great year for photography. Trips planned so far are a ski-trip to Austria in February, another visit to the Spring break for pilots fly-in in Lakeland, FL end of March, a paragliding trip to France and probably a two week South-East Asia trip after the summer... to be continued!

Remember don't just take pictures, make pictures!

BJORN





Comments